Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Chiefs eager for season start
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- July 31st, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- July 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- July 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- July 28th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 25th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 17 articles
- July 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 19th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- July 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- July 14th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 13th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- July 11th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- July 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 14 articles
- July 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- July 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Chiefs eager for season start|
The West Ouachita Chiefs hope they never recover from the season which saw them win eight games for the first time ever and advance to the second round of the state 4A playoffs. In fact, they would like to see more of the same for 2008.
They advanced to the state playoffs despite finishing third behind Bastrop and Neville and won a first round game against No. 12 seed Tara, before falling to No. 5 seed Holy Cross the next week. The bad news is the Chiefs have to play in one of the toughest 4A districts in the state with the state champion coming from this district.
The Chiefs opened the season last year on a down note by falling to Pineville 24-14.
Then they won three straight against Homer, Haughton and Airline.
A near-miss came against Tioga when the Chiefs fell 30-27, then the Chiefs went on another three-game winning streak to dispose of Sterlington, Carroll and Franklin.
Bastrop and Neville both put up big numbers against the Chiefs. Bastrop eventually won the 4A state title and has a 37-game winning streak on the line. Carroll and Franklin are district foes as well.
Coach Mitch Thomas begins his fourth year after taking over the program from Brian Fine, who left to go back to south Louisiana.
"We have several teams in the district who are real strong," said Thomas. "Bastrop has reloaded, Neville should be stronger, Carroll should be stronger and Franklin should be stronger. "We're excited about it though. Everything finally came together last season. We're just working on our off-season weight program right now."
Matt Calhoun is projected to be the quarterback.
"Calhoun sat out the season last year but he's come back and is looking good now," Thomas said. "We're just gona have to be at our best. Our offensive line is very young. We'll have to see how quickly they jell together."
Back-to-back district losses to both Bastrop and Neville, put them as the No. 21 seed in class 4A.
One problem the Chiefs have this season is the first three games are on the road, then the next three are at home.
This season, the Chiefs open at Pineville, then travel to Homer and Haughton before coming back to take on Airline in the season home opener. Tioga and Sterlington close out the non-district part of the slate. Carroll and Franklin are road games, and Bastrop and Neville are home contests.
West Ouachita 8-4
Pineville 24, West Ouachita 14
West Ouachita 28, Homer 27 OT
West Ouachita 27, Haughton 6
West Ouachita 26, Airline 15
Tioga 30, West Ouachita 27
West Ouachita 27, Sterlington 7
West Ouachita 35, Carroll 12*
West Ouachita 28, Franklin 6*
Bastrop 50, West Ouachita 0*
Neville 30, West Ouachita 14 *
No. 21 West Ouachita 33, No. 12 Tara 0
No. 5 Holy Cross 21, No. 21 West Ouachita 14
9-5.........West Ouachita at Pineville
9-12.......West Ouachita at Homer
9-19.......West Ouachita at Haughton
9-26........Airline at West Ouachita
10-3........Tioga at West Ouachita
10-10......Sterlington at West Ouachita
10-17......West Ouachita at Carroll
10-24......West Ouachita at Franklin Parish
10-31.......Bastrop at West Ouachita
11-7..........Neville at West Ouachita