Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Tigers build program during off-season
- 2013 - 844 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- July 31st, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- July 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- July 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- July 28th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 25th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 17 articles
- July 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 19th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- July 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- July 14th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 13th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- July 11th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- July 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 14 articles
- July 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- July 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Tigers build program during off-season|
The 2008 Neville Tigers would like nothing more than to break the string of the past few years of not getting past the semifinal round in the state playoffs.
For the first three years of coach Mickey McCarty's tenure at the helm, John Curtis was the Tigers nemesis who did the hat trick of defeating them for three straight years.
Then, After Curtis dropped down to 2A by order of the LHSAA, the Bastrop Rams proved to be the catharsis which caused the Tigers more grief.
Things just might be a little bit different this season. Bastrop lost quite a few to graduation, including quarterback Randall Mackey, who was responsible for leading the team to the state 4A championship for the past three seasons. Bastrop had to forfeit one of those state titles due to an ineligible player.
Neville begins the season playing Ruston, a team who beat them 19-0 in the season opener last year.
The loss proved to be a wake up call, though as Neville proceeded to win the next five of the next six games before facing Bastrop in District 2-4A. Neville's only loss in the stretch was to Marshall, Texas, 30-24.
Neville made the playoffs, though, as the second place team in the district and went on to lose to Bastrop, this time in the second round.
The Tigers are also working out in the weight room and on the field.
"We have about 90 to 100 working out each week," Neville coach Mickey McCarty said. "We do a variation of lifts and agility drills. We just are trying to get better each week."
The Tigers open at home against Ruston, then go to Ouachita before playing Minden at home. Neville makes the trip to Marshall this time during the last week of September.
This was one of the Tigers closest games last season. Marshall won 30-24.
After one more non-district game against Wossman, the Tigers open district play against Carroll the next week.
"We have a good group of freshmen," said freshman coach Jeff Gregory. "It will be good for everyone to be back in shape for the fall workouts. There's a lot of weight-lifting."
Neville's weight room is open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
9-5.........Ruston at Neville
9-12.......Neville at Ouachita Parish
9-19.......Minden at Neville
9-26.......Neville at Marshall, texas
10-3.......Wossman at Neville
10-10.....Neville at Carroll
10-17.....Franklin Parish at Neville
10-24.....Bastrop at Neville
10-31.....Neville at Byrd
11-7.......Neville at West Ouachita