Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: ULM ends regular season with 7-2 victory at Creighton
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- May 31st, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 30th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- May 29th, 2008 (Thursday) - 12 articles
- May 28th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- May 27th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- May 26th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- May 25th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 24th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 22nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 18 articles
- May 21st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- May 20th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- May 18th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 17th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 16th, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- May 15th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- May 14th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- May 13th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- May 11th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 10th, 2008 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- May 9th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- May 8th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- May 7th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- May 6th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- May 5th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- May 4th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 3rd, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 2nd, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- May 1st, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|ULM ends regular season with 7-2 victory at Creighton|
OMAHA, Neb.—Playing for the first time as the Sun Belt Conference champions, ULM played the part Saturday afternoon defeating Creighton 7-2 in the final game of the regular season.
The Warhawks (33-22, 20-10 Sun Belt) found out they won the Sun Belt regular season title minutes after Friday night's game against the Bluejays (35-19). The loss is Creighton's first (18-1) at the CU Sports Complex this season.
Dexter Fontenot ended ULM's two-game homerless drought quickly hitting a grand slam in the top of the first inning after the Warhawks first three batters reached base. The blast was the fifth grand slam of the season for the Warhawks and gave the senior outfielder the ULM single-season RBI record with 65.
The Warhawks pounded out 14 hits on the game compared to just four for Creighton.
The Warhawks added single runs in the third and fifth innings on an RBI single by A.J. Siggers and the first home run of the season by freshman Darren Sutton. The Monroe, La., native becomes the 14th Warhawk to hit a home run this season as ULM has blasted a school record 91.
Ben Soignier became the ULM single-season hits leader with his second double of the game in the fourth inning; he finished the game 3-for-5 and now has 89 hits on the year. He also holds the single-season records for runs scored (81) and total bases (161) and ranks second in home runs (16) and sixth in doubles (18).
Kyle Suire's double in the second inning – one of five on the game for ULM – broke the single-season team doubles record of 130. The Warhawks have hit 134 doubles on the season.
Kyle Smith became the first pitcher to hold Creighton scoreless over the first five innings of a home game (either Rosenblatt Stadium or CU Sports Complex) this season. The senior right-hander went six innings allowing just a pair of runs on three hits and struck out a season-high six batters improving to 4-2 on the year.
The Bluejays were finally able to break into the scoring column in the bottom of the sixth inning on a two-out two-run double by Joe Servais, but he was thrown out by Siggers trying to stretch it into a triple.
Jon Prevost got one of the runs back for the Warhawks in the top of the seventh with a double down the left-field line scoring Sutton who led off the inning with a single.
Creighton loaded the bases with nobody out in the bottom of the eighth forcing the Warhawks to go to the bullpen for closer Derek Ward. The junior right-hander induced a 1-2-3 double play from the first batter he faced and struck out Nick Nordgen to end the inning and pick up his seventh save of the season.
The save was Ward's first since April 2 at McNeese State and ties him for fourth on the ULM single-season list and eighth on the career list. He is also tied for third on the single-season relief appearance list and tied for fourth on the appearances list.
Zak Moore (4-7) took the loss for the Bluejays allowing five runs on seven hits in four innings.
The Warhawks open play at the Sun Belt Tournament Wednesday against Middle Tennessee. The game time will be announced by the league office Saturday night. ULM swept the Blue Raiders during the regular season on April 18-20 by a combined score of 46-22.