Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Ivye Wink still shines at age 103
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- May 31st, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 30th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- May 29th, 2008 (Thursday) - 12 articles
- May 28th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- May 27th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- May 26th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- May 25th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 24th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 22nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 18 articles
- May 21st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- May 20th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- May 18th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 17th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 16th, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- May 15th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- May 14th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- May 13th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- May 11th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 10th, 2008 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- May 9th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- May 8th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- May 7th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- May 6th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- May 5th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- May 4th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 3rd, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 2nd, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- May 1st, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Ivye Wink still shines at age 103|
While rain poured steadily outside The Arbor House in West Monroe Wednesday, inside, dozens of faces shined with joy as Ivye Wink celebrated her 103rd birthday.
Wink was born May 14, 1905, in southern Ouachita Parish not far from what is now called Jonesboro Road.
She grew up picking cotton, hulling peas and helping anyway she could on her father's farm.
Today, she tries to stay just as active, which she says is the reason for her good health.
"I feel good because my health is good, and it doesn't bother me one bit to be 103, as long as I'm well and healthy," Wink said. "I've always tried to stay busy and do what I could for others.
"I try not to depend on my children too much, and do what I can myself," Wink continued. "I do my own laundry and make my own bed when home help is not here. I always try to walk around the halls at least four times a day."
Wink has been a resident at The Arbor House for the past seven years. She says she has enjoyed her new home and the activities she participates in throughout the week.
The first morning in her new home, she woke up and made breakfast for herself. She got ready to eat it and then had a sudden revelation.
"Now why in the world am I doing this?" Wink said. "I don't have to cook anymore, clean dishes or scrub the floors. I can just relax and read."
She's decided to keep this lifestyle since that day.
Church has always been a big part of her life.
Wink rarely misses a Wednesday Sunday school class or Sunday sermon at the Arbor House.
She started going to First Baptist Church (First West) in West Monroe in 1933.
"I helped build that church," she said proudly, sitting in her recliner inside her room at the Arbor House.
Christian books she recently read sit neatly on her bookshelf near the television, which she hardly ever turns on.
"I just love to read," she said.
Much has taken place in her 103 years, but she has always maintained an attitude that she credits for getting her this far in life:
"I think the best thing to do is stay active and don't worry about every little thing," Wink said. "Also, spend as much time as you can in Sunday school and church. Believe me, during your life you will go through struggles, hurts and disappointments, but you always have to keep on."
At her birthday celebration Wednesday, Wink was joined by numerous friends and family, including son Julius and his wife Loretta Wink. Her other son, J.D. Wink, lives in North Carolina.
They enjoyed cake and punch but no presents.
Julius Wink just laughed when asked about the reason for no presents.
"You know, just what do you get a woman who's 103?"