Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Tests scores look promising for parish schools
- 2013 - 802 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- May 31st, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 30th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- May 29th, 2008 (Thursday) - 12 articles
- May 28th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- May 27th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- May 26th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- May 25th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 24th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 22nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 18 articles
- May 21st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- May 20th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- May 18th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 17th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 16th, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- May 15th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- May 14th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- May 13th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- May 11th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 10th, 2008 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- May 9th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- May 8th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- May 7th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- May 6th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- May 5th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- May 4th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 3rd, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 2nd, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- May 1st, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Tests scores look promising for parish schools|
Ouachita Parish Schools should remain one of the top five school systems in the state when all school performance scores are released this summer.
On Tuesday, the Louisiana Department of Education released the results from the LEAP exam taken by fourth and eighth graders throughout the state. Results also were released for 10th and 11th graders who took the Graduation Exit Exam.
Superintendent Dr. Bob Webber said results from the tests show Ouachita Parish students continue to excel, and he has no doubts the other performance scores will be high when the Department of Education releases them later this month.
"It looks like we did pretty well and once again we should be in the top five in the state," Webber said. "We did very well with the fourth grade scores, and we'll maybe be third or fourth in the state with the percentage of students who passed the test."
"We also did very well in the eighth grade, and it looks like we did even better than last year," Webber continued. "We always expect to do well, and we always do because our teachers do a fantastic job."
However, Webber said GEE scores look like they may have dipped some, so Ouachita school officials will need to look into those tests results more closely.
In all, the results showed a "marked improvement" by fourth and eighth grade students throughout the state, according to the Department of Education.
"Fourth and eighth graders made gains in English language arts, and more importantly, students made a particularly strong showing in fourth and eighth grade mathematics," the Department of Education announced through a news release.
Also, the department said that 10th and 11th grade students who took the Graduation Exit Exam "showed small, but positive gains on the math and English language arts portions of the test."
However, "GEE science and social studies scores were either flat or showed modest losses as compared to past years," the department stated in its news release.
The Department of Education later this month will release the scores for the iLEAP test, which will give a better indication of how each school system ranks in the state, Webber said.
For the 2006-07 school year, the school system ranked fourth out of 66 Louisiana school systems for district performance scores. Ouachita Parish School has maintained its top five ranking for several years.
The district scores measure how each public school system compares to others. Results from the LEAP, iLEAP, Graduation Exit Exams and student attendance and dropout rates are used to determine each school system's district scores.