Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Walsworth opposes tax for recreation
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- March 31st, 2008 (Monday) - 4 articles
- March 30th, 2008 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 29th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- March 27th, 2008 (Thursday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 29 articles
- March 25th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 24th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 20th, 2008 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- March 19th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 18th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 13th, 2008 (Thursday) - 12 articles
- March 12th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 17 articles
- March 11th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 7th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 6th, 2008 (Thursday) - 13 articles
- March 5th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 4th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 3rd, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Walsworth opposes tax for recreation|
State Sen. Mike Walsworth doesn't believe levying a new tax for recreational activities in western Ouachita Parish is a good idea.
Walsworth said there are other more important issues facing the residents of western Ouachita that need to be tackled before officials and other interested citizens embrace a new tax to improve recreation.
"I have reservations about any tax for recreation while we have children dying on the roads of west Ouachita because we have substandard roads in west Ouachita," said Walsworth, R-West Monroe.
"Raising taxes in the middle of an economic recession may not be wise either," Walsworth said. "We should explore any and all avenues for funding the recreation district before we contemplate levying a new tax."
Walsworth's comments were directed at a proposal being considered by the West Ouachita Recreation District.
The recreation district asked Rep. Frank Hoffman to introduce legislation in the Regular Session of the Legislature. The legislation would allow the recreation district to levy a tax to fund the district's activities, including the construction of a new recreational complex.
Randall McDonald, who is active with the recreation district, told The Ouachita Citizen last week the district was considering either a sales tax or a property tax to fund the district's activities. Either measure would have to be approved by the voters of western Ouachita Parish.
The Legislature will convene its Regular Session at the end of March.