Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Big first half propels Lady Rebels over St. Thomas More
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- February 29th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- February 28th, 2008 (Thursday) - 12 articles
- February 27th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- February 26th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- February 25th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- February 22nd, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- February 21st, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- February 20th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- February 19th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- February 18th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- February 15th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- February 14th, 2008 (Thursday) - 13 articles
- February 13th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- February 12th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- February 8th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- February 7th, 2008 (Thursday) - 7 articles
- February 6th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- February 5th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- February 4th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- February 1st, 2008 (Friday) - 5 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Big first half propels Lady Rebels over St. Thomas More|
Behind their best first half performance on the season, the West Monroe Lady Rebels earned a berth in the Top 28 State Tournament with a 58-51 defeat Thursday of the St. Thomas More Lady Cougars.
The loss was the fourth consecutive in the state quarterfinals for STM, which finished the season 31-8. West Monroe (27-7) advanced to the Top 28 next week in Hammond and awaits the winner of Denham Springs-Southwood.
"I have to say that I am proud of my girls for the way they came back," STM Head coach Latasha Dorsey said. "We didn't play a good first half and in the second half they just played with a lot of heart and effort.
"We were able to get a few stops and get ourselves back into the game, but the ball just did not bounce our way a couple of times."
Brooklyn Arceneaux led the Lady Cougars with 18 points and Shelly Breaux had 12.
Kassietta Brown had a game-high 27 for West Monroe and Jessica Lathan and Jasmine Jones combined for 25 in the win for the Lady Rebels.
"We just didn't have an answer for Brown tonight," Dorsey said. "They shot the ball extremely well."
Never leading in the game, STM fell behind 14-5 after the first eight minutes in the contest. Cold shooting was the difference in the first quarter. STM was held without a field goal for over three minutes in the opening quarter.
The offensive drought continued into the second quarter as they were held scoreless for over five minutes (5:04). The Lady Rebels, meanwhile, were having their best first-half of the season as they hit a season-high seven 3-pointers.
"I knew that it was all going to come together at one time," West Monroe Head Coach John Green said of his team's first-half performance. "I was just hoping that it was going to be in a big game. We know that we have a bunch of girls that can shoot it and I was glad we were able to build as big of a lead as we did tonight early on."
Dorsey said that the difference in the game was the first 16 minutes.
"I think that their (West Monroe) hot shooting in the first half took a lot out of us," Dorsey said. "But I also think that we didn't execute as well as we could in the first half. You have got to put together two good halves of basketball and I thought that we played an excellent second half."
STM was able to cut the lead to 43-36 after outscoring the Lady Rebels 16-7 in the third quarter, but were unable to cut the lead below six points for the remainder of the contest.
"Our team had a really good season this year," Dorsey said. "That is why I am so proud of these girls. They won some tournament championships and they obviously beat some good teams on the way. They have no reason to hang their heads. All you can do is ask for your players to play with heart and passion and we did that in this game."