Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: OCS hosts famous Marshall coach
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
- January 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 24 articles
- January 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- January 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- January 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 21st, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 5 articles
- January 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- January 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 12th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- January 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- January 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 7th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 6th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- January 4th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- January 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- January 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- January 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
|OCS hosts famous Marshall coach|
Talk about literally having to pick up the pieces.
Coach Jack Lengyel had the disagreeable task of rebuilding the Marshall University football program after an airplane accident claimed the lives of the football team, coaches and several members of the Huntington, W.V. community.
Lengyel will tell his story Saturday night at the Ouachita Christian School annual fundraiser banquet at the Monroe Civic Center beginning at 7 p.m.
"I not only had to build up a football team but there were a lot of prominent townspeople on the plane as well," Lengyel said in a telephone interview Monday. "We had all freshmen on the team, and we had them in super condition."
Lengyel, who stayed at the university for four years, was the subject of a hit movie released in 2006 titled "We Are Marshall."
Lengyel has said not only was he rebuilding the football program, but he had to help rebuild the town as well
"The university came together as one," Lengyel said. "The first year it was a moral victory just putting a team on the field."
Located in Huntington, W.V., the Marshall Thundering Herd lost its first game of the season, but won its first home game against Xavier University, 15-13.
"The toughest game emotionally was homecoming that year," Lengyel said. "We were playing Bowling Green and we weren't expected to win, but we won 12-10. That made an impression on everyone."
Lengyel had to recruit players from other sports to play for the football team.
Marshall had to struggle to win its first game,
The banquet will be held at the Monroe Civic
Center beginning at 7 p.m.
A reception will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Fans can have their pictures made with Lengyel from 5:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
For ticket information please call the OCS main office at 325-6000.
Speakers for the fundraiser have included actor Charlton Heston and sports figure Rocky Blier.