Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Lady Rebels open district with win
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
- January 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 24 articles
- January 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- January 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- January 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 21st, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 5 articles
- January 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- January 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 12th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- January 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- January 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 7th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 6th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- January 4th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- January 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- January 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- January 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
|Lady Rebels open district with win|
West Monroe Lady Rebels head coach John Green couldn't have drawn it up any better.
Behind 21 points from junior Miranda Holt, the sixth-ranked West Monroe Lady Rebels defeated Ruston 65-40 Tuesday night in the District 2-5A opener for both schools.
"We have been playing really good lately," Green said. "I was hoping that it was going to carry on and it did. We took their (Ruston) best punch early and kept playing and plugging away and eventually we just took over."
Jasmine Jones added 17 points in the win for the Lady Rebels and Kassietta Brown added 15.
Chantia Spivey had 14 points for the Lady Bearkats in the loss.
A back-and-forth game at the start, West Monroe would take a 21-13 lead early in the second quarter behind a 10-run which saw them hold the Bearkats scoreless for 4:37.
However, Ruston would immediately answer with an 8-0 run of their own to tie the game at 23 before West Monroe would grab control of the game over the final 3:49 and a 15-2 run to end the half and head into the locker-room with a 36-25 advantage.
"We went to more of a pressing-trap style of defense and it proved to be quite successful for us," Green said. "I really think that affected the game. I think that they (Ruston) possibly got a little tired and it forced them to make some turnovers, but you also have to credit our girls for causing those turnovers."
Putting the game out of reach for good in the third quarter, West Monroe would outscore Ruston 21-9 in the third period and held a 57-34 advantage heading into the fourth where the defense would prove to be even more suffocating, holding Ruston scoreless for 7:11 of the eight minutes in the final period to come away with the victory.
With their match-up against top-ranked Ouachita set for Friday, Green said he was particularly pleased to see his team focus on the Bearkats and not looking forward to the showdown with the Lady Lions.
"We have certainly done an outstanding job of taking it one game at a time," Green said.
"The reason is that every team that we play from here on out we know we are going to have to focus on every night. If you let a win or a loss effect you and you think about it for more than 12 hours then it is going to affect your next game as well.
"We have a 12-hour rule. 12 hours after this game we are going to start thinking about Ouachita and then 12 hours after Ouachita we are going to start thinking about our next opponent."