Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: LSU bid for title glory is top story
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
- January 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 24 articles
- January 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- January 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- January 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 21st, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 5 articles
- January 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- January 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 12th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- January 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 6 articles
- January 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 7th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 6th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- January 4th, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- January 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- January 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- January 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
|LSU bid for title glory is top story|
LSU's march toward a second national title in four years was the top sports story in 2007 as chosen by The Ouachita Citizen.
The Tigers won the title by defeating Tennessee 19-14 at the Georgia Dome.
They were subsequently picked to be in the BCS title game in January.
Coming in at the second spot is the West Monroe Rebels baseball team narrowly missing the state 5A championship.
The Rebels breezed through the playoffs, but fell just short of the title in a heartbreaking 4-2 loss to Jesuit.
The other top 10 stories of 2007 are as follows.
3. The West Monroe Rebels football team won the District 2-5A championship for the 13th year in a row, but fell in the regional round to Acadiana. This marked the second time in two years the Rebels have lost in the regionals.
4. A grand total of four parish softball teams, West Ouachita, West Monroe, Ouachita Christian and Claiborne Christian advanced to the state tournament in Sulphur in the quarterfinals, but only OCS advanced to the semifinal round before bowing out.
5. The West Monroe Rebels football team was the subject of a television documentary, Varsity, Inc. which chronicled the Rebels from the first practices to the final gun in November.
6. The University of Louisiana-Monroe pulled off a stunning upset when they defeated the University of Alabama 21-14. The win allowed the Warhawks to go 6-6 , the best record since becoming a Division 1A school.
7. The Ouachita Christian School Eagles advanced to the semifinal round of the state 1A playoffs, only to fall 32-20 to West St. John.
8. The Sterlington Panthers failed to win district for the first time in 11 years but still ended up falling to Calvary Baptist in the regionals by a 28-12 margin.
9. Two softball coaches and one basketball coach resigned for different reasons. West Ouachita's softball coach Sherry Helms went to Natchitoches Central and OCS's softball coach Candace Jackson, just resigned. West Monroe Lady Rebel coach Donnie Quinn resigned to move to Birmingham, Ala.
10. Brian Bateman, the Neville product who plays on the PGA tour, won his first ever tournament at the Buick Open this past season.
This makes him eligible to play in the Masters Tournament in Augusta, Ga. in April.