Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Sterlington head coach Mike Collins let go
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- December 2012 - 131 articles
- November 2012 - 191 articles
- November 29th, 2012 (Thursday) - 36 articles
- Parade, fireworks top weekend Holiday events
- Sterlington head coach Mike Collins let go
- Rebels battle Buccaneers in 5A semi-finals
- WMHS field named after coach Don Shows
- LSU needs a turnaround for next year's season
- Neville cruises, McDonogh No. 35 visits
- Ouachita Christian aims to bounce Kangaroos
- Rummel knocks Ouachita Lions out of playoffs
- Deer hunts score big points with youth
- Berry speaks to Warhawks' bowl chances
- Interest lacking in Council runoff
- Sterlington juggles deficit, anticipates surplus
- WM church hosts 31st annual Christmas event
- Monroe City Council increases sewer rates
- Infrastructure projects drive parish deficit
- City hires firm for arena study
- Dome pass at stake
- Elections have consequences
- Healthcare, the economy
- Twin City Ballet presents Christmas show, events
- Weekly devotional: Nov. 29, 2012
- Shelter campaign encourages adoption of older cats
- ULM Choir to perform
- Ford, Baevich unite in marriage
- Lions Club to meet Dec. 4
- Dianne Cage: Nov. 29, 2012
- Obituaries published on Nov. 29, 2012
- Wreck claims two on I-20
- Monroe Renaissance presents fireworks, fundraiser
- AT&T announces $14B expansion
- NLEP hires new president
- Prophit recommended for Living Well post
- Louisiana at top of important, life-saving list
- Interested in better living?
- Two stories of love, loyalty
- Elections have consequences
- November 27th, 2012 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 26th, 2012 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 25th, 2012 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- November 24th, 2012 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- November 21st, 2012 (Wednesday) - 34 articles
- November 18th, 2012 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- November 16th, 2012 (Friday) - 1 articles
- November 15th, 2012 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- November 14th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- November 11th, 2012 (Sunday) - 3 articles
- November 8th, 2012 (Thursday) - 34 articles
- November 7th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- November 1st, 2012 (Thursday) - 34 articles
- October 2012 - 183 articles
- September 2012 - 186 articles
- August 2012 - 211 articles
- July 2012 - 134 articles
- June 2012 - 139 articles
- May 2012 - 212 articles
- April 2012 - 167 articles
- March 2012 - 165 articles
- February 2012 - 129 articles
- January 2012 - 106 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Sterlington head coach Mike Collins let go|
Sterlington opened a spot for the head coaching position this week after Panthers head football coach Mike Collins was let go.
Collins coached the Panthers for six seasons beginning in the 2007 season after head coach Dell Ashley moved from sideline to desk as Sterlington High School's Principal.
"Principal Ashley felt it was time to make a change in the school's football program," said Susan Spence, Vice President of the Ouachita Parish School Board. "The decision was difficult for Ashley who was good friends with Mike and we all felt like Mike did a good job there. But Ashley felt it was a good opportunity to make the changes necessary to improve the program."
A No. 22 seed, Sterlington entered Class 2A playoffs, beating Aquinas with a score of 49-42, and advanced to the second round before losing to Calvary Baptist, 56-28. The Panthers finished second-place behind Homer in District 2-2A with a 4-1 record and finished the year with a 6-6 record.
It was the second time during his tenure that Collins had led the Panthers to the second round of playoffs. The Panthers also qualified for 2A playoffs in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
Spence said Ashley, who had coached the Panthers for 12 years before becoming principal, had helped out some with the team this season.
"Ashley saw opportunities to take the program up a notch and thought the end of the season was the best time to start," Spence said.
Spence said Ashley would now make plans to pick somebody different from the current head coach and get them into the position soon.
Sterlington isn't the only local high school with a head coach vacancy as Richwood High School is accepting applications for the athletic director and head coach position, previously filled by Warren Trimble, until Dec. 14.