Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Game of inches - ULM's McKay earns spot in U.S. Olympic Trial Finals
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- December 2012 - 131 articles
- November 2012 - 191 articles
- October 2012 - 183 articles
- September 2012 - 186 articles
- August 2012 - 211 articles
- July 2012 - 134 articles
- June 2012 - 139 articles
- June 29th, 2012 (Friday) - 1 articles
- June 28th, 2012 (Thursday) - 24 articles
- June 27th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- June 21st, 2012 (Thursday) - 28 articles
- June 20th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- June 15th, 2012 (Friday) - 2 articles
- June 14th, 2012 (Thursday) - 38 articles
- June 12th, 2012 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- June 10th, 2012 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- June 9th, 2012 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- June 8th, 2012 (Friday) - 2 articles
- June 7th, 2012 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- June 4th, 2012 (Monday) - 4 articles
- June 3rd, 2012 (Sunday) - 3 articles
- June 2nd, 2012 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- June 1st, 2012 (Friday) - 1 articles
- May 2012 - 212 articles
- April 2012 - 167 articles
- March 2012 - 165 articles
- February 2012 - 129 articles
- January 2012 - 106 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Game of inches - ULM's McKay earns spot in U.S. Olympic Trial Finals|
For the first time in twelve years, the University of Louisiana – Monroe will not be represented on the world stage at the Olympics, but ULM continued its tradition of producing some of the best track athletes in the country as its next product, Richard McKay, took 11th place in United States Olympic Trials on Monday in Eugene, OR.
Competing against the best javelin throwers in the country, McKay finished with a best throw of 223-5 (68.11m) on his third and final attempt of the finals. McKay improved on each of his throws on the night.
"Since I have been dealing with partially torn Ulnar Collateral Ligament (UCL) for the past couple of years, I wasn't expecting to make it to the finals," said McKay. "It was a great experience to go out perform in front of 15,000 people. "
Texas A&M's Sam Humphries won the event with a distance of 268-7 (81.86m). Unfortunately, Humphries came up just short of the Olympic A standard of 269-0 (82.00m) to qualify him for the Olympics.
By virtue of having qualified with the greatest distance throws in the javelin, Craig Kinsley, Sean Furey and Cyrus Hostetler will represent the United States in the Olympics in London to be held later this summer.
Photo courtesy of ULM
Photo caption - ULM ALUMNUS JAVELIN STAR RICHARD MCKAY takes aim at making it to the Olympic Trials finals. Despite a partially torn McKay finished eleventh Ulnar Collateral Ligament, McKay earned a spot in the finals of the javelin event this past weekend in Eugene, OR.
A native of DeRidder, La., McKay turned in a best throw of 237-2 (72.29m) on Saturday to advance to the finals of the javelin.
For the full story, subscribe to the The Ouachita Citizen's NEW E-Edition!