Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: LA Tech baseball clinches 6th place heading to the WAC Tourney
- 2013 - 844 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- December 2012 - 131 articles
- November 2012 - 191 articles
- October 2012 - 183 articles
- September 2012 - 186 articles
- August 2012 - 211 articles
- July 2012 - 134 articles
- June 2012 - 139 articles
- May 2012 - 212 articles
- May 31st, 2012 (Thursday) - 29 articles
- May 30th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- May 28th, 2012 (Monday) - 2 articles
- May 27th, 2012 (Sunday) - 5 articles
- May 25th, 2012 (Friday) - 3 articles
- May 24th, 2012 (Thursday) - 36 articles
- May 23rd, 2012 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- May 22nd, 2012 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- May 21st, 2012 (Monday) - 3 articles
- May 20th, 2012 (Sunday) - 11 articles
- May 18th, 2012 (Friday) - 1 articles
- May 17th, 2012 (Thursday) - 33 articles
- May 16th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- May 15th, 2012 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- May 12th, 2012 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 10th, 2012 (Thursday) - 36 articles
- May 9th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- May 8th, 2012 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- May 7th, 2012 (Monday) - 1 articles
- May 5th, 2012 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- May 4th, 2012 (Friday) - 3 articles
- May 3rd, 2012 (Thursday) - 32 articles
- May 1st, 2012 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- April 2012 - 167 articles
- March 2012 - 165 articles
- February 2012 - 129 articles
- January 2012 - 106 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|LA Tech baseball clinches 6th place heading to the WAC Tourney|
With both teams clinching a Western Athletic Conference playoff spot hours before the game, both teams went to their respective bullpens early as Louisiana Tech (23-26, 6-11 WAC) fell to Fresno State (25-24, 8-9 WAC), 4-0, on Saturday evening at Pete Beiden Field.
Fresno State's bullpen went 7.0 scoreless innings while the Bulldogs bullpen struck out two hitters in 3.0 innings.
The Bulldogs had six leadoff hitters reach base safely but could not plate the runner as Tech was shut out for just the second time this season. The loss clinched the sixth spot in the WAC standings for the Bulldogs while Fresno State clinched fifth place.
Freshman Phil Maton (7-5) held the California Bulldogs scoreless through the first four innings and allowed just two base runners going into the fifth. The right-hander struck out three in five innings and allowed just one run on three hits in the loss. Saturday's game marked the fourth start that Maton has allowed just one earned run in 5.0 innings or more.
Reliever Gene Escat (2-0) picked up the victory as the right-hander pitched 4.0 scoreless innings, allowing just two base hits and two walks. Taylor Garrison was credited with his 10th save on the year after striking out the two batters he faced.
Taylor Terrasas led the offense as the leadoff hitter went 1-for-3 with a double and a walk to reach base safely in his 10th consecutive game. Alex Williams drew an intentional walk in the first inning to extend his reached base safely streak to 18 games and doubled in the ninth inning to extend his hitting streak to 13 games, tying a career-high.
LA Tech threatened to score the first run of the game in the fourth inning after Kyle Arnsberg and Bre'shon Kimbell singled and walked, respectively, to lead off the inning. After a fly out, Kimbell was called out at second base after stealing the bag with Arnsberg occupying it.
Fresno State scored one run in the bottom of the fifth inning and two runs in the sixth inning to take a 3-0 lead going into the later innings.
FS added a run in the seventh inning to take a four-run lead before the Bulldogs threatened to score in the top of the ninth inning.
Ryan Gebhardt led off the final frame with a walk and reached third base on a Williams double to right field. However, Fresno State struck out the final three hitters to clinch the series victory over Louisiana Tech.
The regular season finale is scheduled for a 3:05 p.m. CT start as Trevor Petersen (5-4) takes the hill for the Bulldogs. Fans can listen to hall of famer Dave Nitz on the LA Tech Sports Network beginning with the pregame show at 2:50 p.m. CT.