Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: 'Build it and they will come'
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- December 2012 - 131 articles
- November 2012 - 191 articles
- October 2012 - 183 articles
- September 2012 - 186 articles
- August 2012 - 211 articles
- July 2012 - 134 articles
- June 2012 - 139 articles
- May 2012 - 212 articles
- April 2012 - 167 articles
- April 30th, 2012 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 28th, 2012 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- April 27th, 2012 (Friday) - 5 articles
- April 26th, 2012 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- April 25th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 5 articles
- April 24th, 2012 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 23rd, 2012 (Monday) - 1 articles
- April 22nd, 2012 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- April 21st, 2012 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- April 20th, 2012 (Friday) - 2 articles
- April 19th, 2012 (Thursday) - 34 articles
- April 18th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- April 17th, 2012 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 16th, 2012 (Monday) - 1 articles
- April 15th, 2012 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 12th, 2012 (Thursday) - 36 articles
- April 10th, 2012 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 7th, 2012 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 6th, 2012 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 5th, 2012 (Thursday) - 36 articles
- April 4th, 2012 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- March 2012 - 165 articles
- February 2012 - 129 articles
- January 2012 - 106 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|'Build it and they will come'|
When I was a classroom teacher, I used inspirational stories as the foundation for my teaching methods. This was a class where students could discover their dreams, or build on the dreams that they had already foreseen. When I saw a student's passion stirred at the moment that she was exposed to uncommon men and women, my desire to expand the class to greater resources was intensified.
What was the potential in this class? Was there a Bill Gates? An Oprah Winfrey? Stephen King? Joe Paterno? Jim Halsell? Billy Graham? A great mother or father? A teacher? An inventor? A great carpenter? A doctor? A judge?
This class made a difference in these students' lives. This was a class for dream building. When the students were introduced to great men and women, they learned that these men and women were just common people who became successful by doing uncommon things. I would mark the moment when a student's entrepreneurial fire was lit. The small flame that was flickering like a pilot light waiting to be turned on by that magic ingredient of desire that drives men and women to their ultimate potential.
For the full story, subscribe to the The Ouachita Citizen's NEW E-Edition!
Robert Charles Payne is an inspirational writer who lives in West Monroe. He can be contacted by e-mailing email@example.com.